Monday, December 31, 2007

Minneapolis: Oceanaire Seafood Room

I have heard much about Oceanaire and when I was in Minneapolis wanted to give it a try; and I'm sorry that I did. With so many other interesting choices in that city I ended up with a loser. The restaurant tries hard for a 40's cool vibe, which seemed pretty sterile to me and uninviting. When I arrived there were two young ladies at the hostess stand chatting and it took them about 5 minutes to acknowledge that I was there [along with several others who had walked in before me]. I sat at the bar and was basically ignored until I asked for a menu and from then on the service was perfunctory at best. After reading the menu, which I found unimaginative and overpriced, I ordered the scampi. What arrived were 5 medium shrimp, overcooked with the texture of erasers, in a bland sauce [how can something with garlic be bland?]. Nothing else. Not even bread. If they have desserts I wouldn't know as none were offered.

This was one of the worst dining experiences in an "upscale" restaurant that I can remember. The place is all hype and no follow through. When you're in one of the cities where this chain has a location, look for an interesting local establishment to try out rather than one of these. You'll be better off.

EatHereOrNot? NOT

No comments: