Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Orlando: Downtown Disney: Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Well, I know that some of you out there may not be Orlando or Disney fans when it comes to dining [or anything, for that matter], but I have to tell you that I travel there frequently on business and always have a good time and eat very well. And, one of my favorites is the Wolfgang Puck place at Downtown Disney [I know, amazing place to find fine dining]. But, don't be fooled into thinking that the large and loud downstairs space is the place to be, make a reservation for the beautiful and much sleeker Dining Room upstairs. Its only open for dinner and you'll have less of a chance of being surrounded by a clump of ill mannered children and their badly dressed parents. And there's something to be said for that at the "Happiest Place On Earth" [wouldn't you pay triple the admission price for the Magic Kingdom if it was a special day for those over 25 only?]. But we're here to talk about the food . . .

I am addicted to the Gnocchi with Braised Boar Bolognese. Its actually listed as an appetizer, but I am proud to report that I have on more than one occasion eaten two portions. Happily. Rumor has it that it will soon be removed from the menu because its not something that our little Austrian friend came up with; a really bad idea Mr. Puck. The Caesar salad is always well spiced and fresh, exactly the right combination. If I can move away from the gnocchi and get an entree, I like the shrimp with lemon risotto. Or the roast chicken, which is crisp and juicy and perfectly cooked. I'm less enamored with the "Original Veal 'Wienerschnitzel'", which has arrived overcooked and kind of tough. And, I'd rather have it with spatzle. But that's just me.

The dessert menu is nonremarkable, which is surprising considering how 'serious' this restaurant and its namesake take themselves. Carrot cake? The Baked Alaska is OK, but nothing to write home about. Last time I just had some of the ice cream with caramel sauce and it was perfect. Perhaps just a glass of bubbles and a piece or four of chocolate will do the trick.

As always there are things that take a place to a higher level and in the case of The Dining Room those 'things’ come in the form of Ani and Larry, the two wonderful bartenders. Even though I get to dine there infrequently, they always remember me and make me feel welcome. Good conversation between making drinks, tasteful evaluation of the clientele [Ani] and laughs all around make for an excellent evening. They are the icing on the cake of this restaurant.

EatHereOrNot:
EAT HERE

No comments: