Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Jonesborough, TN: Earth and Sky Confections

So, Jonesborough is the oldest town in Tennessee, a picturesque place filled with restaurants, stores [always called a shoppe] and stuff. Its also the home of the National Storytelling Festival and International Storytelling Center [with a degree program at ETSU], which is very cool. In a town of this type, folks in tee-shirts with 'sayings' on them, sipping from over sized cups and generally not at their best, it was with trepidation that I was lead to Earth and Sky Confections [described as a chocolate shop]. I was expecting something like Rocky Mountain Chocolates . . . Rocky Road and caramel apples and all . . . but what I saw blew me out of the water. This place is a gem, the chocolates jewels of color and bursting with flavor. I was immediately reminded of Vosges Chocolates in Chicago and Joseph Schmidt of San Francisco. And I'm in a tiny town in the Tennessee mountains. Amazing!

So many interesting flavor combinations: chili, herbs, honey, citrus and all perfectly beautiful. I could not decide, so had as many different pieces as could fit into a box without looking the complete pig. Or, maybe not. Anyway, this place is a spectacular surprise, tucked behind a nondescript storefront, and you should NOT MISS IT.

EatHereOrNot: EAT HERE

No comments: