Sunday, March 21, 2010

Painter [Eastern Shore]: VA: Big's Place

What a great find! Way out on the Eastern Shore ... you'd drive right by if you weren't paying attention ... and by all means, PAY ATTENTION. Open for lunch and dinner, the very casual menu features wonderfully fresh seafood, just pulled from the bay, and a great selection of sides to round out the meal. The room is not large, so you may have to wait, and some of the larger tables are used for communal dining, a good way to meet the locals people and make new friends. Just enjoy!

I had the best fried scallops that I have ever eaten, crisp and brown on the outside and wonderfully sweet and tender on the inside. I could have eaten a pound of them, but the side dishes called my name and I couldn't decide ... so I had several. Deviled eggs, Cole slaw [not flavored enough for my taste], macaroni salad, and excellent fried potatoes and onions. With sweet tea, of course. It was a perfect lunch and had me smiling all the way back to the Norfolk airport for my flight. This is a classic country/shore place that deserves a trip out of the way for a visit. And don't forget the orange blossom cake!

EatHereOrNot: EAT HERE

No comments: